The most recent state records show 369 Iowans took their own lives in 2010. Mark Vander Linden, with the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH), says the suicide rate among Iowa’s young population is of particular concern.
News About Daily Life from Iowa's LGBT+ Newspaper
This is National Suicide Prevention Week (RadioIowa)
UNL LGBTQA center closes open meeting to news coverage (DailyNebraskan)
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln LGBTQA Resource Center closed its first brown bag meeting of the semester to news coverage Monday afternoon.
Seven people attended the meeting to discuss how lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transgender and questioning students adjust to college life and being out on campus.
Basu: 'Being in Iowa' project breaking down barriers (DesMoinesRegister)
Rob Dillard is crossing the borders without stepping outside his native state — and coming home to an Iowa far different from the one he knew growing up in 1950s and ’60s Indianola.
Recent survey gives UNL 4 out of 5 stars for LGBT friendliness (DailyNebraskan)
The Campus Pride Climate Index, a national assessment of LGBT campus life, gave UNL 1.5 out of five stars for housing/residence life and two out of five for policy inclusion.
Group looks to start UI's first LGBT sorority (DailyIowan)
University of Iowa junior Mathilde Finnegan-Kennel never thought of joining a sorority until she heard about a possible sorority geared toward lesbian, bisexual, and transgender women coming to the UI.
New Report Says LGBT Missourians Less Healthy Than General Population (KCUR)
Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Missourians have less access to healthcare and tend to be less healthy than the general population. That’s according to a new report by the Missouri Foundation for Health.
How LGBT-friendly are Iowa colleges and universities? (BleedingHeartland)
The non-profit organization Campus Pride has been assessing LGBT-friendly policies at U.S. colleges and universities for the last decade. Seven Iowa schools are among the 341 institutions of higher education scored on the latest edition of the LGBT-Friendly Campus Climate Index. Follow me after the jump for details on how they stacked up.
Take Five: Gay psychiatrist explores mid-life coming out, with St. Louis footnotes (StLouisBeacon)
During a bachelor weekend with his brother shortly before his 1968 wedding, Iowan Loren Olson was unnerved by a party invitation from another man -- at a St. Louis antiques store.
Thinking about how the man had touched him while they talked made him realize it was a come-on. Olson, who, at that time kept any same-sex attractions buried even below his own awareness, freaked out.
LGBT Teens Tell Their Inspiring Stories on ‘We Are the Youth’ (Mashable)
For every LGBT person, coming out is one of the toughest hurdles. Do you tell your friends first? How will your parents react? Will your family accept you?
For a teenager to deal with those concerns, the process can be daunting and absolutely terrifying. The only certain aspect from coming out is what teenagers learn about themselves through their personal ordeal.
Iowa rest area honors artist Grant Wood (QCTimes)
Iowa officials have decided to open a new Interstate 380 rest area building and picnic area without all the artwork meant to honor artist Grant Wood.
Statement on ACA: No co-pays for birth control and women’s preventive care
Today marks a key milestone for women’s health under the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Starting today, anyone on a new private insurance plan will be able to access birth control, well-woman exams and many other preventive services without a co-pay.
- Downtown Waterloo, Iowa, to host first Gay Pride festival, August 18
- Health Professional Profile: Patricia Young, a 20-year veteran of HIV education
- PHOTOS: Out In The Midwest At Iowa City Pride (GayCities)
- Consolidation of Planned Parenthood health centers
- Iowa Dads Speak Out for Equality (HuffingtonPost)
- Discussing LGBT Healthcare Equity at the University of Nebraska Medical Center (HRC)
- Zach Wahls Delivers Petition to Boy Scouts of America
- Iowa City Pride is looking for volunteers
- State disappointing on HIV insurance (DesMoinesRegister)
- Active community organizations create alliance
- More Than a GSA Network (CAMP)
- Parents in West Des Moines demand more action on school bullying (DesMoinesRegister)
- Polk County Health Department is Recruiting Volunteers
- Research Study Participants Needed
- Locals support proposed state-wide bullying hotline (DailyIowan)
- A New Analysis Shows Decline in the Number of Postsecondary Credentials in Iowa
- UI community gathers in Hubbard Park for protest against discrimination (DailyIowan)
- A pitch for ‘radical normalcy’ (TheGazette)
- HIV/AIDS Organization Spotlight: Saint Louis Effort for AIDS (TheBody)
- After Seeing Children Suffer, Moms Form Anti-Bullying Group (KCAUTV)
Page 5 of 42