On April 26, Zach Wahl’s new book “My Two Moms: Lessons of Love, Strength, and What Makes a Family” hits bookstores. With a written introduction by talk show host Ellen DeGeneres, the story gives Wahl’s personal account of being raised by his two lesbian moms, Jackie Reger and Terry Wahls.
Zach Wahl's "My Two Moms" book released April 26 (Examiner)
Zach Wahls On David Letterman: 'My Two Moms' Author Talks Homophobia, Gay Marriage And Bullying (VIDEO) (HuffingtonPost)
"Gays messing up the sanctity of marriage? I think Kim Kardashian's doing an alright job of that herself."
Biz Buzz: Singer makes a Splash, heads to China (DesMoinesRegister)
While storms wreaked havoc in Des Moines Saturday night, New York baritone Adam Yankowy sang show tunes for friends at Splash Seafood Bar & Grill, across from the Civic Center.
The impromptu concert was part of a send-off organized by friends who work at the Civic Center. Yankowy left Monday for a six-month tour at a resort in Macau, China.
Local group leads rise in drag king culture (DailyIowan)
Amanda Green stands in front of a large mirror and lights the blunt end of an old wine cork with a lighter. After methodically burning it, she draws sideburns and a goatee on her face with the charcoal residue.
Within minutes, the pretty, feminine woman transforms into a different person — a man she calls Hugh Jindapants.
UNI Proud hosts first-ever ‘Queer Monologues’ (NorthernIowan)
Pride Week 2012 kicked off with the first-ever “Queer Monologues” Monday night in the Interpreters Theatre at the University of Northern Iowa. Inspired by the “Vagina Monologues,” “Queer Monologues” is a production aimed at inspiring collaboration, conspiring for equal rights and sending the message that it’s ok to be who you are.
MPAA Reverses Course, 'Bully' Will Have No Rating (OnTop)
The documentary film Bully will be released in theaters without a rating, leaving the decision to show the film to young people to individual movie theaters.
Paula Poundstone 2009 interview redux
Paula Poundstone is coming back to the Hoyt Sherman in Des Moines, April 6, 2012! (Special benefit for the Des Moines Public Library Foundation.) Her last visit to Des Moines was April 3, 2009—the same day that Iowa's Supreme Court announced their decision for marriage equality in Iowa. She opened the show with "Congratulations!" Get your tickets now so you won't miss this amazing personality, live at Hoyt Sherman Place!
Following is our interview with Ms. Poundstone prior to her November 2009 performance at The Englert in Iowa City. (Originally published October 27, 2009.)
Facebook Removes Gay Kiss Photo, Ironically an Advertisement for a Cultural Project Against Homophobia (Towelroad)
An image of two men kissing by well-known Spanish photographer Juan Hidalgo, utilized by Madrid-based Visible Culture group for its 'Gay Art Looks For A Home' initiative and documentary, was removed by Facebook for breaching a decency code barring images of a "political, sexual or other sensitive" nature.
Des Moines Gay Men's Chorus performs Cabaret!
Friday, March 23rd and Saturday, March 24th at 7:30pm at Temple Theater
Grab a drink, grab a friend and grab on as you cruise and croon your way through the Des Moines Gay Men’s Chorus’ Cabaret concert at 7:30 p.m. March 23 and 24 at the Civic Center’s Temple Theater located at 1011 Locust St. in Des Moines.
Paula Poundstone to be at The Hoy Sherman Place Des Moines
Paula Poundstone keeps the laughs coming on NPR’s news quiz show, “Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me” and brings her comedic brilliance to the Hoyt Sherman Place on Friday, April 6th!
(Special benefit for the Des Moines Public Library Foundation)
The Hoyt Sherman Place in Des Moines, IA is proud to present comedian Paula Poundstone in concert Friday, April 6th. It’s impossible to attend a Paula Poundstone performance without marveling at her ability to interact spontaneously with audience members in conversations bound to garner riotous laughter. Armed with nothing but a stool, a microphone and a can of Diet Pepsi, Paula’s ability to create humor on the spot has become the stuff of legend. Little wonder people leave Paula’s shows debating whether the random people she talked to were “plants” – which, of course they never are, and complaining that their cheeks hurt from laughter.
SiriusXM OutQ and Greater Than AIDS Empower Gay Community to “SpeakOUT”
Limited-run series of live, call-in shows takes in-depth look at AIDS in Gay America—from the bedroom to the doctor’s office to the community to Capitol Hill
SiriusXM OutQ, the nation’s first and only 24/7 LGBT radio channel, and Greater Than AIDS, a national movement to respond to AIDS in America, announced today the launch of SpeakOUT: Real Talk about AIDS in Gay America, a limited-run series of live, call-in shows that will connect listeners across the country with medical experts, people living with HIV and notable members of the LGBT community to have an honest and challenging dialogue about the current state of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in the gay community as well as the country at large.
- here! TV’s For & Against Examines HIV Criminalization
- Katy Butler To Be Recognized At GLAAD Media Awards (OnTop)
- Queens from Previous Seasons of "RuPaul's Drag Race" Compete in New Series for the Franchise
- One Million Moms Threatens Toys 'R' Us With Boycott Over Archie Comics' Gay Wedding Issue (HuffingtonPost)
- “The Real Boy”
- Anti-Gay Group Tells JC Penney to Fire Ellen DeGeneres (NBCPhiladelphia)
- Madonna: The Truth Is She Never Left You (Advocate)
- In The Life Investigates Laws Criminalizing HIV and Aids
- Homosexuals Deserve Equality Rights Not Petty Disputes
- ABC Scores Big At The GLAAD Media Awards And NAACP Image Awards (ThinkProgress)
- Lance Bass Uses Transgender Slur on Air (Advocate)
- Dr. Keith Ablow: Misinformer Of The Year On LGBT Issues
- George Clooney: "Gay and lesbian people are born equal in dignity and rights" (TheNewCivilRightsMovement)
- No, Twitter And Facebook, Prop 8 Was Not Overturned Yesterday (TheNewCivilRightsMovement)
- Meet Steve Deace: Iowa Radio’s Christian Conservative Hitmaker – and Hitman (ABC)
- Olivia Thirlby on Being Bisexual and Participating in the Self Evident Truths Project for Brooklyn Magazine (SheWired)
- Gay half-sister of Newt Gingrich backing Barack Obama (NationalPost)
- Rosie O’Donnell and Michelle Rounds get engaged (AllVoices)
- Michele Bachmann Rips Iowa Judges Over Same-Sex Marriage: VIDEO (Towelroad)
- Ric Alonso, Miss America Preliminary Sponsor, Revealed As Gay Porn Mogul 'Jake Cruise' (HuffingtonPost)
Page 2 of 33