Gay GOP group Log Cabin Republicans on Thursday criticized former Nebraska Senator Chuck Hagel, who is on President Barack Obama's short list of candidates to succeed Leon Panetta as secretary of defense.
Politics and Law
Chuck Hagel 'Wrong On Gay Rights,' Gay GOP Group Says (On Top)
Minnesota same-sex marriage supporters want to move quickly on a bill
Supporters of legalizing same-sex marriage [in Minnesota] hope to speedily pass legislation in the first weeks of the upcoming legislative session.
Press Release: Iowa Court Orders Accurate Death Certificate for Stillborn Baby, Justice for Married Lesbian Mothers Represented by Lambda Legal
(Des Moines, IA, December 17, 2012) - The Iowa District Court for Polk County ordered the state's Department of Public Health to issue an accurate death certificate to Jennifer and Jessica Buntemeyer after their son was stillborn in October of last year.
Missouri Supreme Court hears case of medical testing facility that disclosed patient's HIV status in fax to his job (STLToday)
The Missouri Supreme Court will decide if an HIV-positive man deserves a new trial to determine whether a medical lab wrongfully disclosed his infection status.
Attorneys for the man, referred to as John Doe 1631 in court documents to protect his identity, and Quest Diagnostics, the testing facility that faxed medical documents to his employer, argued their sides in Jefferson City on Monday. It’s unclear when the judges will rule.
Legislature looking at civil rights protections (JournalStar)
Lincoln nonprofit director Tami Lewis-Ahrendt and her spouse would like to be part of the solution for the many Nebraska children who need a loving family.
But as a lesbian couple, the two are banned in this state from both being foster parents and adopting a child.
Couples in Illinois gay marriage lawsuit urge state legislators to pass marriage equality bill (LGBTQNation)
Several gay and lesbian couples who are plaintiffs in a legal challenge to a state law prohibiting the recognition of same-sex marriages met with state legislators in Springfield Wednesday and urged them to vote for a bill that would legalize gay marriage in Illinois.
LGBT non-discrimination ordinance passes in St. Louis County (LGBTQNation)
The St. Louis County Council chamber was filled to capacity on Tuesday as council members voted and passed an ordinance that would include sexual orientation and gender identity in St. Louis County’s non-discrimination protections in unincorporated St. Louis County.
Opponents of the bill greatly outnumbered pro-equality supporters, but council members voted 4-3 to pass Bill 279, affecting over 321,000 residents.
Politically Speaking: Iowa Senate Leader Gronstal says gay marriage increasingly accepted (SiouxCityJournal)
The increasing acceptance of gay marriage in Iowa is going to become more entrenched as, well, bluntly, older people die off, Iowa Senate Majority Leader Mike Gronstal, D-Council Bluffs, said Wednesday. Speaking after a Sioux City forum looking at ways to improve the skill levels of Iowa workers, Gronstal said a generational change is at hand regarding marriage.
Illinois Gay Marriage: Will The Prairie State Soon Say 'I Do' To Marriage Equality? (HuffingtonPost)
Emboldened by Election Day votes to allow gay marriage in three states, advocates for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people in Illinois are pushing to accelerate their quest to bring marriage equality to the Prairie State.
Iowa City residents share diversity complaints with police and transportation (DailyIowan)
Some immigrants living in Iowa City are calling for reform in the Iowa City police and the Iowa City transportation system.
More than 20 community members expressed their concerns Thursday night at a forum hosted by the city’s recently established Ad Hoc Diversity Committee.
Tammy Baldwin Promotes Lesbianism, Not 'Healthy Behaviors,' Peter LaBarbera Says (OnTop)
Wisconsin Senator-elect Tammy Baldwin has been accused by Peter LaBarbera of promoting lesbianism to young women, instead of “healthy behaviors.”
- Grand Island expands bias protection to gays (Omaha)
- 'Ex-Gay' Pastor Charged With Sexual Assault (Advocate)
- Woman who lied about rape takes plea deal (Omaha)
- North Dakota voters elect first openly gay state legislator (LGBTQNation)
- ELECTIONS: LGBTs battle locally--and make gains (WindCityMediaGroup)
- Tammy Baldwin Election Results: Democrat Becomes First Openly Gay Senator (HuffingtonPost)
- Iowa Democrats keep edge in Senate, gain in House (Gazette)
- NOM Ally Steve King Wins Tough Congressional Race in Iowa (Advocate)
- Iowa judge wins bid to stay in office (WashingtonBlade)
- Minnesota voters reject marriage amendment (DuluthNewsTribune)
- Central Nebraska Human Rights Coalition organizes (TheIndependent)
- Zion UCC hosts conversation on gender (TheHawkEye)
- Why Gay and Transgender Workers and Families Need Paid Sick Days (AmericanProgress)
- Illinois Treasurer: A Rare GOP Gay Rights Supporter (Advocate)
- Straight supporters of gay rights forming local chapter (NewsLeader)
- Daily Iowan Endorsement: Vote yes on judicial retention (DailyIowan)
- Rev. Phil Snider, Missouri Pastor, Responds To Viral Gay Rights Speech (VIDEO) (HuffingtonPost)
- Hate Group’s Endorsements Have .69 Percent Voting Record On LGBT Equality (ThinkProgress)
- Grundy County Court Official Accused of Gay Marriage Fraud (KCRG)
- Appeals Court Upholds Funeral Protest Ordinance Aimed At Westboro Baptist Church (HuffingtonPost)
Page 5 of 93