ST. PAUL — Minnesota senate has passed a bill that would legalize gay marriage in the state with 37 votes in favor and 30 votes against.
Politics and Law
Minnesota Senate approves marriage equality
Eastern Iowa Same Sex Couples Cheer Supreme Court Ruling (KCRG)
JOHNSON COUNTY, Iowa - Friday’s Iowa Supreme Court decision to recognize both lesbian parents on state birth certificates had special meaning for one Johnson County couple.
Iowa Supreme Court: Birth certificate should name both same-sex parents (DM Register)
Married same-sex couples have the same rights as married heterosexuals to have both parents listed on the birth certificates of their newborn children, the Iowa Supreme Court ruled this morning.
Iowa House conservatives want pay cut for justices in same-sex marriage decision (The Gazette)
A handful of House conservatives want to reduce the pay of Iowa Supreme Court justices involved in a 2009 decision striking down a ban on same-sex marriages as part of an effort to maintain the balance of power in state government.
GOP House lawmaker backs Illinois marriage equality bill (Chicago Phoenix)
Another Illinois Republican has announced his support for a bill that would legalize same-sex marriage in the state adding to what proponents of the bill call “growing momentum” for the measure leading up to the start of session Monday.
Minnesota College Republicans chairman announces gay marriage support (MNDaily)
Minnesota College Republicans Chairman Ryan Lyk announced his support for the legalization of same-sex marriage Wednesday.
The two-term chairman said it's time for the Republican party to get past the issue.
'Co-parent' adoptions difficult for gay couples in Wisconsin (WisconsinGazette)
Teege and David Mettille made history by becoming the first gay foster parents in Outagamie County, but they’re held back from full legal parenting rights of the child they adopted last month.
Teege Mettille, an Appleton alderman who represents a downtown district, is Logan’s father in the eyes of the 3-year-old, but not the state. He and his partner, David, adopted the toddler last month after raising him in foster care for more than two years.
North Dakota Senate Passes Two Unprecedented Abortion Bans (HuffingtonPost)
The North Dakota State Senate passed two anti-abortion bills on Friday that would be the first laws of their kind in the United States and would ban most abortions in the state. One bill would prevent women from having abortions as soon as the fetal heartbeat can be detected, as early as six weeks into the pregnancy, and the other bans abortions in cases of fetal abnormalities such as Down Syndrome.
Seven Illinois Congressmen Call On Illinois To Legalize Gay Marriage (OnTop)
Seven U.S. representatives from Illinois are calling on Illinois lawmakers to approve a gay marriage bill.
After passage in the Senate last month, the measure awaits a vote in the House.
Bills would expand gay rights in Nebraska (KLKNTV)
It's an issue with two very split sides--gay rights expansion in Nebraska.
State lawmakers in the judiciary committee peer out to a huge crowd Thursday. Dozens of people spoke in support of gay rights expansion in Nebraska. Dozens of people in opposition, as well.
Minn. gay marriage bill survives GOP move to block (PostBulletin)
A proposal to allow gay weddings in Minnesota survived several moves by Senate Republicans Wednesday to block it, an early signal the measure likely has enough votes to pass on the floor.
Both on the Senate floor and in a Rules Committee meeting, Democrats who control the chamber defeated a series of Republican motions to postpone its progress. Republicans said they were simply seeking more information about whether it would cost tax money to allow gay couples to marry — in court costs, state employee benefits and other areas.
- AIDS advocates praise Illinois House vote to repeal discriminatory HIV law (Chicago)
- Chicago's Family-PAC Behind Robocalls Against Illinois Gay Marriage (DNAInfo)
- Iowa GOP introduces unconstitutional measure to stop county recorders from obeying Iowa Supreme Court ruling
- Gay marriage has votes to clear Minnesota House hurdle (TwinCities)
- Federal Judge Postpones Ruling on Gay Michigan Couple's Challenge to Marriage Ban Till After SCOTUS Rulings (Towleroad)
- Athletes back gay marriage bill (ESPN)
- Family Research Council affiliate may sue Lincoln City Council to put gay rights ordinance on ballot (Aksarbent)
- Iowa House GOP seeks gay marriage ban
- Minnesota Vikings: Chris Kluwe takes support of gay marriage to Supreme Court (PioneerPress)
- Family groups consider legal action to force Lincoln vote on gay rights ordinance (MissouriNewsHorizon)
- Minnesota gay marriage bill unveiled at Capitol (SCTimes)
- Missouri Supreme Court mulls benefits for gay partners (Kansas City)
- One local lawmaker among sponsors of anti-gay marriage proposal (Press-Citizen)
- US: Anti-equal marriage group pledges $500,000 to defeat pro-equality GOP legislators in Minnesota (PinkNews)
- North Dakota Senate votes down bill forbidding discrimination against gay people (GrandForksHerald)
- Illinois Senate approves gay marriage (ChicagoTribune)
- Missouri LGBT Discrimination Ban Reintroduced (HuffingtonPost)
- Gay Missouri teen told he can't bring boyfriend to prom (KansasCity)
- Lesbian teacher sues, says job lost over support for gay history month (WisconsinGazette)
- Presidential Panel Calls on States to Repeal HIV Criminalization (Colorado Independent)
Page 1 of 93