Many Catholics hoped the cardinals would pick a new pope who would champion same-sex marriage and other social issues. Now, some feel Pope Francis just isn't that person.
Iowa LGBT News regarding Morals and Values
The phrase "Morals and Values" has been used far too often by small segments of society to apply to their own morals and values, but with the implication that other segments of society either do not share certain morals and values, or worse, do not have morals and values.
It is my own belief that our different groups truly have more in common than we have differences. Love, concern, compassion, safety for ourselves and others, the importance of giving, forgiveness, responsibility, industriousness, freedom, neighborliness... these are but a few of those things we hold to be important in both personally and as a society.
It was my decision to label this secton of our paper "Morals and Values" as a means of encompassing both spiritual and secular beliefs; my intention is a spirit of inclusiveness that I hope will eventually erase fear and division.
Gay and lesbian community reacts to election of Pope Francis (King5)
Iowa City church to allow same-sex marriages (PressCitizen)
First Baptist Church is first in state to join national association
An Iowa City Baptist church has become the first in the state to join a national association that advocates for the inclusion of LGBT people, and the church likely is the first of its kind in Iowa to allow same-sex couples to marry.
MN. Church Denies Entire Family Communion Over Son's Gay Marriage Support (Towelroad)
The Assumption Church, a Catholic congregation in Barnesville, Minnesota, does not mess around when it comes to fighting followers who support marriage equality.
Vatican Launches 'Anti-Gay Media Blitz,' Compares Gay Marriage To Polygamy, Polyandry (HuffingtonPost)
The Vatican has long maintained a hardline stance against gay marriage, but over the last few days, the Holy See has intensified its anti-gay agitprop, vowing to fight LGBT marriage equality around the world.
According to Reuters, the governing body of the Catholic Church launched an anti-gay media campaign over the weekend, pledging to never stop fighting attempts to "erase the privileged role of heterosexual marriage" -- a union it called "an achievement of civilization."
Pastor Wanted to Slap Woman for Objecting to Antigay Fliers (Advocate)
An Iowa pastor whose church offered pamphlets decrying a pro-gay judge said he wanted to slap a churchgoer because she objected to the pamphlets.
TWO Condemns Twin Cities Archbishop for Anti-Gay Letter to Catholic Parent of a Gay Son (TruthWinsOut)
Truth Wins Out condemned Twin Cities Catholic Archbishop John Nienstedt today for a letter in which he told a mother with a gay son that her “eternal salvation” may depend on whether or not she embraces the anti-gay teachings of the Catholic Church.
Gay Christian singers find themselves outcasts (UPI)
Jennifer Knapp and Marsha Stevens, both top-billed Christian singers at one point, went public about being lesbian decades apart. But Knapp's recent rejection has been just as harsh as it was for Stevens in 1980.
"The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be."
Key Episcopal Church Committee Approves Same-Sex Marriage Liturgy
As expected, the Episcopal Church's General Convention's central prayer committee today approved of a resolution that would construct a liturgy to bless same-sex marriages, though there are still provisions for individual priests who object to marriage equality.
Heartland Proclamation: Supporting LGBT People in Faith Communities (HRC)
Earlier this week, new HRC president Chad Griffin met with a group of religious leaders in Omaha. These leaders make up the group Heartland Proclamation, which is a growing network of clergy who are changing the conversation about LGBT equality in the heartland of America.
Iowa NAACP leader quits over same-sex marriage flap (QC Times)
DES MOINES — A prominent leader in the Iowa/Nebraska branch of the NAACP — the country’s oldest civil rights group — announced today that he is resigning as branch president and a national board member in the wake of the national organization’s decision to endorse marriage between people of the same gender.
Southern Minnesota ELCA Takes Stand on Gay Marriage Amendment (KIMT)
The Southeast Minnesota Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America is taking a public stance against an upcoming constitutional amendment Minnesotians will vote on this November.
The group passed a resolution not to support an upcoming state amendment that would define marriage as between one man and one woman. Some members say this topic is causing division within their church.
- Iowa City church recognizes Wahls (PressCitizen)
- Unitarians to honor Zach Wahls (PressCitizen)
- Religion and Public Policy (KAALTV)
- Marriage equality activist speaks at Redlands church (RedlandsDailyFacts)
- Gay Teacher Fired From Catholic School For Planning Marriage (LezGetReal)
- Methodist Launch Campaign for Marriage Equality
- Priest's Actions Against Lesbian Stir Uproar (Advocate)
- Witte: This is what a Christian America should look like (IowaStateDaily)
- Church's 'Gay is not okay' sign gets backlash in social media (DesMoinesRegister)
- Minister Calls Pro-Equality Starbucks “Hater of God” (Advocate)
- AFA’s Bryan Fischer: HIV Doesn’t Cause AIDS (SPLCenter)
- Connecticut Catholic Diocese Promotes Celibacy For Gay Men, Lesbians (OnTop)
- Guest columnist: What evangelical influence? (DesMoinesRegister)
- Cardinal under fire for comparing gay rights movement to Klan (ChicagoTribune)
- Ron Paul receives endorsement from Floyd Co. pastor (DesMoinesRegister)
- Gay marriage - a Lutheran leader's plea to Catholic bishops (StarTribune)
- Iowa minister circulates music video calling Gingrich ‘Kim Kardashian of the GOP’ (DesMoinesRegister)
- "A-Political" Church Rally Comes to Cedar Rapids Tonight (Patch)
- Pastor supporter of gay marriage out in the cold (TheAge)
- Church of Scotland rejects proposals to legalise gay marriage (Guardian)
Page 1 of 23