In an email from Chuck Hurley of Iowa's "FAMiLY Leader" today, the organization yet again proved that THEIR religion is their only argument against providing committed, loving, responsible, adult same-sex couples with the legal securities that come from the statutes of civil marriage.
While I am sure that most of the recipients of this email are of the same closed-minded religious fold as Hurley, I doubt that the majority of Americans really want church rules defining what is written into American law:
Obama Abandons Defense of Marriage
On Wednesday the U.S. Department of Justice, under orders from President Obama, announced that it would no longer defend the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), which defines marriage as the union of one man and one woman.
In 1996, DOMA easily passed with bi-partisan support and was signed into law by President Bill Clinton. DOMA legally defines marriage for federal purposes, and safeguards states from being forced to redefine marriage by lawsuits from activists who want marriage to be something other than a husband and a wife.
Sadly, President Obama and his administration are abandoning natural marriage. They are also refusing to do their duty to defend this important federal law, even if they disagree with it.
Who then will defend the institution of marriage as God designed it?
What you can do to help:
* Please contact your representative and urge him to legally intervene on behalf of the Defense of Marriage Act.
* Please contact the office of Speaker John Boehner and ask him to provide legislative counsel to defend marriage.
* Please pray that marriage would be held in honor by all people, especially those that claim the name of Jesus!
P.S. Please come to the Rally for Marriage at the Iowa State Capitol on March 15th. Your participation could make the difference in passing the Iowa Marriage Amendment! YOUR Senators need to hear from YOU!
Doesn't shamelessly brandishing the name of Jesus count as breaking the Third Commandment? And aren't loving, faithful Christians everywhere getting sick of people like Chuck Hurley claiming that they somehow speak for Jesus?
I totally think that Jesus would count denying legal securities to a person as something done "unto the least of these my brethren" as stated in Matthew 25:40. Just my opinion.
And again with the point of "natural marriage" trying to claim that "nature" defines one male and one female as the only kind of relationship worth protecting or participating in. Why is it not obvious to folks that this argument is starting to be like kicking a dead horse?
So let me encourage you:
* Please contact your representative and urge him to focus on the economy and keeping the government out of our personal business.
* Please contact the office of Speaker John Boehner and ask him to respect the lives of ALL Americans, even those who are minorities.
* Please pray that committed, loving, responsible adult relationships be held in honor and thought worthy of legal protection by all people, regardless of their religion.